S. greggii 'Lipstick'
Light red flowers and a vigorous compact habit.
S. greggii 'Moonlight'
S. greggii 'Nuevo Leon'
Small dark purple flowers, low spreading habit
S. greggii 'Pink Caddy'
Similar to 'Big Pink,' but with a more intense color
Salvia greggii purple
Dark violet purple flowers. Compact, spreading to almost trailing habit.
Salvia greggii rose pink
Intense, electric rose pink flowers are narrow, with dark sepals.
Salvia greggii salmon
Soft salmon pink flowers. Plant is low, open, to 30" tall, 3' wide.
S. greggii 'San Isidro Moon'
Pale peach flowers with a darker backing. Open growth.
Salvia greggii 'Sierra San Antonio'
Flowers appear peach colored
S. greggii 'Wild Thing'
To 6' tall, with medium to deep blue flowers. 20°.
Salvia 'Indigo Spires'
Dark blue flowers emerging from dark indigo blue sepals. Can reach 6-7' tall by 10' wide if unpruned, but can be held to 4' by 6'. Will grow in a considerable amount of shade. 15°.
- S. guaranitica 'Argentina Skies'
- Bright green leaves, sky blue flrs.
- S. guaranitica 'Omaha Gold'
- Mottled leaves, large blue-violet flrs.
Salvia leucantha -- MEXICAN SAGE
Deciduous perennial to 4' tall. Lvs grey green, felty whitish undersides. Fuzzy violet purple flower spikes, small white flrs with purple sepals. 15°?
- S. leucantha 'Figueroa'
- Selected for better cold tolerance.
- S. leucantha 'Figueroa' purple
- Same as the previous, but with violet purple flowers to match the sepals.
- Salvia madrensis
- To 8' tall, spreads by rhizomes! Golden yellow flrs in fall and winter. Damaged at 25°, roothardy to 15°.
- S. madrensis 'Maraschino'
- Numerous small, bright cherry red flowers. 20°.
- Salvia melissodora -- GRAPE-SCENTED SAGE
- Shrubby growth; lavender/dark purple fragrant flrs. 25°.
- Salvia mexicana
- To 6'-10' tall; large (3") flrs bright blue with black calyx. Damage at 25°, hardy to 20°.
- Salvia microphylla -- GRAHAM'S SAGE
- Evergreen shrub to 2' tall and 4' wide. Slender spikes of small rose red flowers with dark calyces. Hardiness varies. (also called S. grahamii)
- S. microphylla -- Belize form
- Dark colored stems and bright green leaves. Bright red flowers, vigorous, upright to 5' tall, 8' wide unpruned.
- S. microphylla 'Berzerkeley'
- Upright then spreading 24" tall by 3-4' broad. Rose red flrs, dark calyx.
- S. microphylla, var. neurepia
- 3'-5' tall and broad; bright red blossoms like S. greggii. 10°.
- S. microphylla 'San Carlos Festival'
- 2'-3' tall, twice as broad; large magenta flrs. 15°.
- Salvia muelleri
- Like a smaller S. greggii. Violet flrs. 15°.
- S. muelleri 'Mulberry Jam'
- 5' tall and wide, spikes of deep violet magenta flowers. 25°.
- Salvia officinalis -- KITCHEN SAGE
- To 2'-3' with equal spread. Flrs are lavender to violet. 0° or lower.
- 'Berggarten' is lower,
- 'Variegata' is variegated with yellow,
- 'Purpurea' is tinge with purple,
- 'Tricolor' is dark green, cream, and purplish.
- Salvia patens -- GENTIAN SAGE
- 2' tall with large, deep clear sapphire blue flowers. 20° or lower.
- Salvia pink (unnamed selection from Monterey Bay Nursery)
- Hot fluorescent pink flrs. 3' by 6', can be kept lower. Spreads by stolons . Full sun (coast only) to mostly shade.
- Salvia 'Purple Majesty'
- 5'+ with velvet, deep purple flrs. 25° or lower.
- Salvia regla Huntington form
- 4-5' tall and wide, striking orange red flowers, tolerates hot, dry conditions in full sun or quite a bit of shade. 10°.
- Salvia roemeriana
- Forms tight clumps; 1' stems with tubular scarlet flrs. 10°.
- Salvia sinaloensis
- To 2' tall and wide; small dark purple blue flowers.
Spreads by underground stolons.
Probably killed below 25°F.